f

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Chanel Never Knew A Serger

What in the world is this crazy looking little machine?
I had never seen one, didn't even know they existed, but a friend of mine was cleaning out her studio and asked if I would like to have it. Sure!! I always like new little contraptions. Well, this is hardly new, but a contraption it is.
As you can see from the front cover of the booklet, the last copyright date was 1935.
This little machine is a pinking machine. This is what was used before we had the luxury of sergers.
The handle with all the gears and proudly printed on the side, Singer, U.S.A. We rarely see that anymore.
Here you can see the pinking blade.
This is a picture of one I found on Ebay. The clamp came with the original machine. The clamp is easily replaced though. You can see a lot of these available on Ebay here. There are many others available on the internet so if you are interested, just google Singer Ball Bearing Pinking Machine.
I've copied the booklet for you. Gives you a little better idea of what the machine is all about and if it would be something that you would like to have.
I found a review and they said that they had cut paper, leather, as well as cloth and the wheel was still sharp. The instructions below explain how to regulate the wheel so that it continues to make a smooth cut. 
The following pictures are from the back cover. I included them because I thought they were rather cute.
I have some projects that I would like to do that involve a pinked edge so this will come in handy. Unless you are going to do longer strips of pinking, I don't know that I would spend the money for one, but I will admit that it is rather fun! Even better that it was a gift.
You may remember this jacket, my little French Jacket creation. Well, I've decided to do another. I'm really excited about it.This one will be black.
I contacted Helen Haughey who has fabulous fabric resources. I told her what I was looking for and she sent samples. The fabric is not inexpensive, by no means, but it is beautiful.
For the lining, I went on line and I found this fun piece of silk at Gorgeous Fabrics. I really love the lining fabric. The question then became, what to use for trim? So off I went to Soutache.  
At Soutache I found this wonderful chenille trim in the same three colors that are in the lining fabric. Hmmmm!
So I played around with them a bit and decided to sew them together to create the trim. I used the gold on either side and placed the green and red in the center. Along with the crystal thread that runs through the black wool, there's a chenille thread as well.
And finally, the three pieces together. I think this is going to make a fabulous winter jacket. Now I need to find buttons. I'll post my progress as I go. These jackets are a lot of work, but well worth the effort. No pinking and no serger will be involved! I think that Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde live quite comfortably in me. There's the side of me that will put lots of work into a project and the other side that posts Fabulous Free Pattern Friday!! Oh well, it's all fun.
Have a wonderful day!   



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

10 comments:

  1. Fab fabrics, wonderful colours in the lining. Looking forward eagerly to your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be a fabulous jacket. I can't wait to see the work in progress shots.
    Gita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of twisting those braids together. Looking forward to watching your jacket come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, that Singer is so cute! I bet it would be great at cutting raviolis! ;)

    That is going to be one stunning Chanel!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That lining is TO DIE 4! Love it! And the pinking machine is pretty cool, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous jacket and jacket-to-be! And what a fun gizmo that pinking thing is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the lining and trim! Can't wait to see the finished look :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pinking machine is really cool. Olfa makes 45mm pinking blades for their pinking rotary cutter - I wonder if the blades would fit your machine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is said in the manual is that the beauty of this little machine is that you never have to sharpen the blade. I did read a review that said that they had cut leather, paper as well as fabric and the blade remained sharp. I'll have to give this a try. Seeing is believing!

      Delete