f

Friday, January 11, 2013

Fabulous Free Pattern Friday Thank You

My first thank you goes out to the 427 followers on Pinterest who have made my Fabulous Free Pattern Friday board my most followed board. If you would like to access that board, here is a link, http://pinterest.com/sewbussted/fabulous-free-pattern-fridays/. I have talked about this before, but for those of you who are new to the blog, my dream for this began quite a few years ago. I was teaching a sewing class. A young professional woman who had just had a baby and had decided to become a stay at home mother took my class. The first garment that I helped her with was a straight skirt with an elastic waistband, a simple rectangle. She was amazed when I took her hip measurement and proceeded to rip the fabric to her hip and length measurement (plus ease for her hips of course). The skirt had one seam, a center back seam. I showed her how to easily attach the elastic and hem the skirt. She was ecstatic. She returned the next week with three more skirts that she had made during the week. She went on and on about how much money she would have spent at one time buying the exact same style of skirt. I'll never forget the tears that welled in her eyes when she said, "I wanted so badly to be able to be at home with my daughter, but worried how we would be able to survive on one salary. Now I know we can." Sewing gave her power over her life. It was then that I wanted to show people just how simple sewing can be. Now of course it can be quite complicated as is the dress of Avadner's that I shared with you this morning. But so many wonderful pieces can be made with simple shapes and I feel that when we have success it leads us to wanting to learn to do more. I think about when I first began to learn to fly. I couldn't find grass on the ground. I wondered how I was ever going to talk on the radio, read a chart and fly the airplane all at the same time!!! Of course it happened and I moved on to more advanced ratings. Knowledge builds on knowledge.
Yesterday I told you about this first Fabulous Free Pattern Friday post

and that Cennetta of www.themahoganystylist.blogspot.com is using it as the group pattern for the upcoming Haute Couture fashion show (which will be the first Sunday of May in case you might like to come!). Cennetta told me how empowering it has been for her to begin drafting patterns and she would like to pass this along to others.  Below is a picture of Cennetta's sister in the top that she created for her. 
And a picture of Cennetta below in the first top that she created for herself.

The skirt pictured below was also an early Fabulous Free Pattern Friday piece. The shape is one long rectangle and there is only one seam. You can see just how simple this is to make here,  http://www.rhondabuss.blogspot.com/2011/09/fabulous-free-pattern-fridaysa-little.html.

To my surprise and delight, Andrea of http://knit-knac.blogspot.com/ created the skirt for herself and she looks fabulous!

She posted her creation yesterday. You can see her full post here, http://knit-knac.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-one-seam-rectangle-skirt-by-rhonda.html She said that she is now ready to tackle a few more!! This is just so exciting for me.
Thank you to all of you who have given a pattern a try. You're helping me to fulfill a dream I've had for quite a long time.
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

8 comments:

  1. Rhonda, I'm a new follower and I love your site. Your creativity is awe inspiring. I love your writings and stories and seeing the wonderful garments you make. I also plan to try some of your Fabulous Friday patterns in the near future. Thank you; I'm so glad I found you! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa and a great big welcome!! If you do give a patern a try, please be sure and let me know as I would love to feature your creation.

      Delete
  2. Great post I loved your story. I remember when I was first married sewing was a way of me having clothes, clothing my children and saving money. It's a wonderful skill to pass on, 'you make things out of nothing'. Lucky you being a sewing teacher you'll know everything...I'm going to check out you rectangle skirt...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I taught at the design college I attended as well as many sewing classes. Sometimes it's challenging, but most of the time it is so inspiring as my students teach me so much. Let me know if you do the rectangle skirt. I'd love to feature it.

      Delete
  3. Your generosity is amazing, Rhonda, and I so appreciate all of your effort.

    I learned a long time ago that sometimes we touch people in ways that we don't know but that are so important. Keep up the wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bunny! and thank you. I once heard a minister say that our reward is not here on earth, but in heaven. The rewards come when those whom we never met but whose lives we touched come up to us and say, "This is what you did for me, this is the impact you had on my life."
      Your sweet message was one I needed just now. Thank you once more.

      Delete
  4. Lovely garments and thanks for sharing your designs & inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhonda, you ROCK!!! I love this skirt as you know already and I think I'm going to try the ballerina top next. It's between that and the Hanging On the Cliff Dress, because I can use that one to gig in. Too many decisions. I'll let you know when I've made another pattern. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete