f

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thrifty Thursday/Super Cute Summer Hat

I found the pattern for this free hat pattern on Pinterest. 


My first impression was, "oh how cute!" The pattern was free, so why not give it a try. The hat was laying on my bed this afternoon. I heard my husband say, "this is really nice!" He picked up the hat, brought it to me and said, "let me see it on you." He loved it, so I think it's an all around hit. By the way, I really like it too! In fact, I plan on making at least one more as it's perfect for summer.


Actually, the hat would be a great winter hat as well, just make it out of wool and maybe line it with fleece and you'll be ready for the cold.

I really like the fact that it does not have a solid brim. The opening in the back makes the hat super comfortable to wear.


I added a button to the top of my hat, just for a little decoration.


The pattern can be found here,
http://blog.bozontee.com/tutorials-anleitungen/anleitung_cloche/

The instructions are not in English, but this is not a problem as you can translate them if need be. The pattern is not sized, so there is only one size. My head is a little large and I found the hat to be quite comfortable. So if your head is a little small, you will need to reduce the sides of each triangle. My suggestion would be to make a muslin of the crown, try it on and see how it feels. Just remember that you will be adding a brim and the seam of the brim will reduce the interior circumference of the hat, in other words, make it a little smaller. You don't want the hat to feel tight on your head.

A few notes on the pattern;

A grainline has not been provided. Grainlines are important on a hat, so fold the pattern piece in half and draw in the grainline as you see in the picture below.

The seam allowances have been included and they are 3/8". I suggest trimming the seam allowances down to 1/4". Also, mark the seam allowance at the tip and place a dot there. Be sure to transfer the dot to all 6 of the pattern pieces. Sew to the dot and not to the very tip of the triangles. I did not interface the crown of my hat. You can if you would like.   


 The brim should be cut on the fold and you will need to cut 2.


The brim should also be interfaced. Interface only one  side of the brim. I used a fusible cotton interfacing.


As I said, I am very happy with the hat and I look forward to enjoying it all summer long!




Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

29 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You could pop out about a dozen in no time at all :)

      Delete
  2. Very cute hat! Thank you for bringing it to our attention, and for your suggestions for its construction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful, Rhonda, thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do look great in your new hat! I may make a few of these for my chemo cap project. Thanks for steering us to this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. This hat is perfect for your project. So glad I found it :)

      Delete
  5. Really cute! Thank you for posting this. I'm wanting to try some new hats for my trip to Uganda in June!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Nancy. This one has a big enough brim to keep the sun off your face and it'll be very easy to pack.

      Delete
  6. It is cute. Men seem to love feminine hats. It's sort of a modified cloche, it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. It really does have that 1920's flair. The brim is can be turned up for a little different look too.

      Delete
  7. It is very cute. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That really suits you! Fun hat and fun fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so cute and in that fabric looks a bit "Mod". I love it. Thanks for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Did you have any problem with the .pdf files? I cannot print them out. The brim printed once, then would only print enlarged (no change in settings). The the wedge would print blank, over and over. Weird. Printer is working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I initially chose the no scaling feature for the crown and the page was blank. I then chose the fit to page and it printed out without a problem. Give that a try and I think it should work. If not, I can scan my pattern and send it to you. Just let me know.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Rhonda! That did it. I've never seen that happen before...

      Delete
    3. Oh, and thank you for the wonderful offer!

      Delete
  11. Totally adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So nice!! I will give a chance to this hat to wear it in summer ... maybe a matching bag also .... Great find, my dear Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute, and the fabric matches a shirt you made a while back, if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a great memory you have! Yes, I did use the fabric for a collar and a sleeve post. As I was looking for fabric, I saw that I had some bits and pieces to weren't large enough for much of anything but a hat, so I used up some scraps and got a cute little hat in the process. BTW, this would be super cute on you!

      Delete
  14. I didn't read the other comments, but is there something special you used to press the seams of your adorable new hat? I don't have a ham, but I'm assuming you do. *wink*

    Really great piece,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H Kelly, I do have a ham, but I really didn't use it to press the hat. What I do is put the hat on the end of my ironing board to press the curved area. Works just fine.

      Delete