f

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Sunday's Soup/Eating For Your Future

Last week I shared a soup recipe that I found on a site called Pop Sugar. I really like this site as there are so many incredible recipes. Today we have another soup that is not only good, actually, it's really good, but it's also super easy to throw together. The recipe calls for the soup to be cooked in a crockpot, but I didn't want to wait 3 hours for my soup to cook, so I made the soup in a pot on the stove. So if you would like to make the soup in the crockpot, head over to this site for the instructions. Basically, all you do is throw all of the ingredients in the crockpot and cook on high for 3 hours. Easy! If you would like to have your soup a little sooner like me, my instructions are below.

Mushroom, Barley and Lentil Soup

Ingredients
6 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water
3 large carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup pearled barley
1/4 cup brown or green lentils
16 ounces button mushrooms, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
Freshly ground black pepper

Saute chopped onion and celery in a tablespoon of olive oil until onion is translucent. Add chopped garlic and mushrooms. Continue to saute until mushrooms are tender.
Add barley, lentils, spices, vegetable broth, water, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cover. Cook until barley is tender, approximately 45 minutes.

The original recipe did not include the oregano or the celery seed. Those were my additions. Also, watch the pot a bit as I found that I needed to add more liquid the as the soup was becoming more of a stew than a soup. 
My husband absolutely loved the soup and has told me that he is already putting in his request for more. So give it a try, I think you'll enjoy too!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good Julie. I meant to add that some chopped spinach would make a nice addition.

      Delete