f

Friday, March 6, 2015

The Kantha Quilt Jacket Almost Finished and Something to Think About

My Kantha Quilt jacket is just about finished. I could actually wear it at this point, but I would like to add pockets. As much as I sometimes try to convince myself that I don't need pockets, I always end up looking for them ;)  The jacket is completely reversible as you can see below. I was especially please with how the batik print blended with the pattern in the quilt.

I used the batik to finish off all of the seams. Below is the neckline seam.
 The armhole seam.
 And the underarm seam.
 Now, for something to think about if you use the Sew News pattern. The collar is quite large.
I think that what I will do is trim the collar down, following the pins that you see in the picture below. The quilt fabric has more body and so the collar sticks out more than what I would like and it seems rather overwhelming. At least in my opinion.
I rounded off the corners of the jacket because I plan to attach a round pocket and felt that the round edges would work together a little better. I also plan to make a tie belt to wear with the jacket.
I was asked about the size of my quilt Here's a link to a quilt that is the same size that I purchased, https://www.etsy.com/listing/153329073/tiwn-quilt-blue-ikat-kantha-quilt?ref=shop_home_active_3
My quilt measured out to be approximately 2 1/2 yards long by a little less than 60" wide.
I was also asked about the condition of the quilt. The materials that were used for this quilt seem to be new, so the fabric was in good shape. I did not have to worry about holes are worn areas. But remember, this is a handmade item, so there are imperfections. There are areas where the stitching has not been knotted, or the thread ends have not been cut. None of the imperfections were and issue for me as I rather like the fact that it's handmade and not perfect.  
 
I was asked about a schematic of the pattern that I used. There isn't one, but I have laid the pattern out in the picture below so you can get an idea of how it is shaped. Please take a look at this post to see the changes that I made to the sleeve.
I'm planning to wear the jacket next week, so you'll see the completely finished then.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

22 comments:

  1. Wow! The binding really finishes it off nicely.
    Beautiful jacket, have fun wearing it!
    Thanks for sharing your experience and finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dale. I'm really pleased with how the binding worked out.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for all the info Rhonda. I've been wanting to get/have/make one of those sari quilt jackets f.o.r.e.v.e.r. A friend of mine has one and it's so beautiful. I went straight to the etsy shop you mentioned and purchased one (!) Yours is lovely. I saw Shams too, but I like the looser style best. I'm not sure how I'll make mine, but yours is definitely in the running. Thanks again for sharing everything. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you use this pattern, be sure to straighten out the sleeve like I did it'll it will be too tight. Look forward to seeing which quilt you chose. I'm really tempted to buy another. They are so pretty.

      Delete
    2. Forgot to add that one of the things I really like about the pattern is that there is a little shaping at the waist. Just enough to give some shape and yet be loose enough to give a relaxed look.

      Delete
  3. This jacket is very much a couture look Rhonda! Well done! I'm in agreement about making the collar smaller. I think it will make the finished jacket more balanced looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue :) I am going to go ahead and add the pockets and wear it once before I cut the collar down. I'll post it and let everyone see and give me some guidance and opinions.

      Delete
  4. PS...just visiting the Etsy site, and the quilts are absolutely gorgeous! An endless selection too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The binding is fantastic. What a match. I really, really love this jacket. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Believe it or not, I had forgotten to take a piece of the quilt with me for matching, but thought, I'll just take a look. I found the fabric and thought it would work and thankfully, it did!! A lucky break :)

      Delete
  6. I love it SOOO much! May I ask, what did you use between outer and lining fabric, what is the "inner"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The quilt comes made with the patterned fabric on one side and the solid fabric on the other. There is no batting in these quilts, so they are not bulky. The quilt is then held together by rows and rows of running stitches made with a heavier cotton thread. Since the quilt is finished on both sides, it makes the jacket super easy to put together.

      Delete
  7. Very nice, Rhonda! It was good that you made sure that yours uses new fabrics. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have a lovely new jacket thanks to you :) I really didn't make sure of anything. I just jumped right in and bought the first piece I liked. Thankfully it worked out.

      Delete
  8. Until all these garments started showing up all over the internet, I had no idea that a kantha quilt was something that could make gorgeous gorgeous jackets. Yours has to be my favourite, I love how you treated your seams so that it could be reversible. It is amazing and the colours are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!
      If it had not been for Shams, I would still be in the dark about the quilts. The quilts really are beautiful. This is on instance where late was truly better than never :)

      Delete
  9. The finishing is so perfect, and I love the color/pattern choice. Can't wait to see the finished version!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rhonda what a great looking designer jacket and a free pattern too.. what's not to like. I have downloaded the pattern and printed it, but have not put it together yet, it is probably all over my sewing room floor since my printer is in studio.. I have ordered my quilt and I got the blue patchwork print since it had a dark backing that looked like a navy, hope it is. Glenna

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so beautiful. I've never seen clothing as meticulously constructed as the things you make!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never found an armhole that way. The binding elevates the armhole which is usually overlooked in terms of design details. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you for showing exactly how the pattern was put together as I was having trouble figuring it out! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE THIS! Your seam finished are so wonderful. What a great project. Well done.

    ReplyDelete