f

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Learning What I Do and Don't Like

Since I learned to knit, knitting has been a way of keeping my hands busy, and making me feel productive even when I'm in a situation where all I can do is sit. As a teenager, it was also a means of making a little extra money. I would knit bags, and scarf sets to sell at Christmas time. Now mind you, I was by no means compensated for my time, but extra money was extra money. I did a lot of babysitting, so once the children had gone to bed, I would make the most of my time, knitting until I could no longer stay awake. 

Just recently, I was sharing some of my "adventures in babysitting" stories. It's amazing what a kid can do to you!!! If I had known then what I know now, I don't think that dollar an hour would have looked quite so good ;) 

Back in April, I shared THIS post where I talked about my knitting goals for this year. My goal is to finish 12 projects. At this point...I have finished a whopping 3 :/  

In that post, I told you about the Lorna's Laces factory that is very close to where I live. From time to time, the owner hosts an open house. Along with the open house, she includes a tour and demonstration. I found it to be especially interesting. She even did a little dying for us. Well, going to a yarn factory for me, is a little like going to an animal shelter to "just look" at the animals. Talk about playing with fire!!! Although, I only purchased yarn for 2 projects, and until I get a few more projects finished, I know better than to go back!

The third project that I just recently finished is a shawl using the Lorna's Laces Helen's Lace yarn. OMG!!!, this yarn is like knitting with thread. Not quite that bad, but the project taught me one thing, I don't especially like knitted lace projects.

The shawl has a pretty little picot edging.


To create the rounded shape, the shawl is knitted with short rows which forms wedges. When I purchased the yarn, the woman at Lorna's Laces had said that it was a 1 skein project. I remember looking at the skein and thinking that there was no way it would be enough. As I worked, it seemed that the yarn was somehow multiplying as there always seemed to be more. The instructions said to create 6 wedges, I had enough for 8.


My finished shawl. Please forgive my clothing and my lack of makeup. I thought I would quickly do the post before I head out for my walk. 

In the end, I was happy that I had enough to create 8 wedges as the shawl now has a lovely drape.
    

I really love how it drapes over the shoulders.


Crazy me, always looking for other possibilities! I think it will be fun to clip it at the waist and wear it over a pair of leggings.


This is one project that I am VERY HAPPY to have finished. Now that it's completed, I love it, but there won't be another!

There are lots of projects on Ravelry using the Helen's Lace yarn. So check them out if you are on Ravelry.

If by chance you think that you might like to make a shawl for yourself, you can find the free pattern HERE at Love Knitting.

Now back to my sweater


Nice bulky yarn, now that I like :)     



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

14 comments:

  1. You look so young with no makeup and tousled hair!

    Congratulations on finishing the beautiful shawl. A triumph of skill and determination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!, with a compliment like that, I might be talked into making another. Naaaa 😉
      Now that it's finished, I think it's going to be one of my favorite items.

      Delete
  2. Rhonda, your shawl is so beautiful...lovely drape and shape...and after you have worn it, gotten compliments, and time has passed while knitting bulky yarn - you may see some luscious color of laceweight yarn and want (need) to make another. This red one will be appropriate for many occasions, many looks from casual to dressy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Millie...I don't know 😬 I think one of the problems for me is that I thought it was going to be a fast project since it was a 1skein project. Not so! And then, there was nothing about the pattern to keep my mind busy. So, we'll see if in time you're right and I change my mind. A little confession...there is a lace dress that I saw in a Rowan book that I adore. Shoot me now, just shoot me now!!!!!!! 😊

      Delete
  3. Your shawl is magic. Just so beautiful. And, yes, it will look very good over leggings too. Ditto Carol in Denver on how young and pretty you look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That shawl is impressive, such fine yarn. I couldn't do it, I would quit long before the end. It looks very nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an exquisite shawl, completed beautifully. Doesn't it make you smile to know that YOU made it? I lived in beautiful Maine for a few years and while most Mainers seem interested in the heavier yarns for practical reasons, the local shop - Heavenly Socks - carried the most magnificent yarn by Jaegerspun. The yarn is called Zephyr and is the most magnificent lace-weight I have ever seen. It is 50% merino wool and 50% silk tussah. There is a glorious sheen. In case the thought of working with lace-weight yarn again gives you hives, they have also produced it in DK weight which I will be using for a prayer shawl using a pattern from Jan Eaton's "A Creative Guide to Knitted Lace". She made the stole in DK weight ribbon yarn which just cannot be found anymore it seems, so I will go with the DK Zephyr. Lace work is extremely rewarding. Your exquisite shawl should be proof of that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous shawl! But I'm with you-----that tiny yard is NOT for me. This one, however, was well worth your effort; you will enjoy for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, I will enjoy it 😊 But, it is a one and done project. The instructions went in the recycle bin!

      Delete
  7. I love your shawl. It is so delicate looking and pretty. Your hard work certainly paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That shawl is beautiful Rhonda, and I'm sure it will be very useful during your cold Chicago winter.
    You know you want that dress .....(sorry!😂)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim 😊
      As for the dress...I know I do. Kill me now 😜

      Delete
  9. Just beautiful Rhonda - as you are. I would never even try a project like your shawl and I agree with you on bulky yarn!

    ReplyDelete